Monday, September 19, 2011

The Special Dress

Here's a little family history for you.  These are my great grandparents Lyman Kinnie Raymond I and his wife Ellen. Their children were Matilda Jane, Frank Benjamin and Lyman Kinnie II. My grandfather served in the Civil War in Company 1, 3rd Illinois Cavalry. My Great Uncle Frank was a front man for the Barnum and Bailey Circus and was in San Francisco during the great earthquake on April 18, 1906. However, this story is really about Matilda, who they called Jennie, and Lyman II. Jennie was born in 1872 and Lyman was born in 1884. They both had  beautiful handmade pieces of clothing that have been handed down through the generations. Jennie had a dress and Lyman II a coat. I don't know anything more about the clothing. I wish I knew if they were made by their mother Ellen, but that was never discussed. I do know that many pictures have been taken.
 I had my picture taken in the dress when I was around 7. That would have been in 1953. We didn't have the coat at that time. Not sure where it was.
 Twenty-nine years later my girls had their pictures taken in what is now their Great-Great Aunt Jennie's dress and their Great Grandfather's coat.
Now it is time for the next generation. Hmmm, let me see if I can get this right. This is Rylie, my great niece, and she is wearing her Great, Great, Great Aunt Jennie's dress. Wow, so many greats in this story. The dress is also great as it is now about 135 years old.
This is my favorite picture and Rylie is wearing her Great, Great Grandfather's coat.