Monday, May 17, 2010

Busy Weekend

It was a busy weekend! It's like a whole months worth of events all came at the same time. Fortunately they were timed perfectly and I was able to make all of them. I started on Friday night with Lynne's retirement party. She was the Principal for 10 years at the school where I taught. She is also a great friend. They asked me to help with the decorations so I made the silhouettes for the windows and also the table decorations. We had a western theme, so everyone came dressed for the West. It was a great party.
On Saturday morning I had a Bridal Shower Brunch for Ali and Bennett as they are getting married in August. It was a nice day and we were able to eat outside. Bennett's Aunt Karen planned a wonderful party and the food was delicious. It was also great to get together with my church friends. I actually took this picture at church on Sunday morning. Bennett's mom Betsy is the choir director and they came to play for a piece the choir was singing. It was beautiful!
Next I was off to Lynden as Jeter's family had invited me to his recital. He was one of my students last year. This year he decided to participate in the Children's Musical Theater instead of playing basketball. He said he "sucked" at basketball. He sang "Hello Dolly" in a small group number and also sang "Sittin' on the Dock by the Bay" for a solo. I think theater just might be his thing. It was great seeing him and his family again.
My next stop was The Blue Mountain Grill in Acme for dinner and listening to Bandzandt. Our friend Doug plays with the band, so we try and support them when we can. It's always nice when a local group does well and they are very good. As you can see the view behind them is beautiful. The grill has a "Million Dollar" hamburger. It's really only $5.00, but it comes with a million dollar view.To top off dinner, and fun with friends and the band, we had a brownie. Yup, ONE brownie. We ordered it with 6 forks. It's a dinner plate sized ooey gooey brownie topped with ice cream, whipped cream, and drizzled with chocolate. Mmmmmmmmm! Even with 6 of us eating it we still had a little left.
Sunday I was back in Lynden at the Claire VG Theater for the play "Noises Off". It's one of the funniest plays you will ever see. I actually went to the opening night dinner theater and thought Julie, my sister, would like to see this, so got tickets for us at the Sunday matinee and went again. I am always intrigued by the sets at plays and this one was quite unusual. The play starts and ends with the set in the picture below. The play is about a group of people who are practicing and then presenting a play.
After Act I the whole set is turning around and we are now seeing what happens back stage during a production of the play. This is a very small theater and they only had 4 inches to spare as they moved the set. It was absolutely AMAZING!!! After the play Julie and I went to The Nuthouse for dinner. A very busy, but fun filled weekend.